My daughter has been having fun making her Silly Valentine’s Day cards. (Based on our earlier heart character craft.) So when it came to the homemade Valentines my son made, we once again decided to use a previous craft, this time our straw rockets!
They turned into some fun rocket Valentine’s Day cards!
For each rocket Valentine you will need:
- 1 rectangle (6X2 inches) of thick construction paper or cardstock
- 1 large triangle (with a 3 inch base)
- 2 small triangles (approximately an inch or so high)
- 1 bendable drinking straw
- 1 two inch long piece of drinking straw that is wider (think fast food restaurant straws)
- small piece of orange tissue paper
Glue the small triangles to the back of the rectangle. These will form the rocket’s wings.
Glue the big triangle to the top of the rectangle to form the rocket’s top.
Using scissors, give the orange tissue paper some fringe and glue it to the back of the rocket’s base. This will be the rocket’s flames.
Use clear tape to secure the 2 inch piece of straw to the back of the rocket, as shown in the picture below. Also use a piece of tape to flatten the top of the straw and keep it closed.
I made copies of our Valentine’s message to glue to each rocket. We went with, “Valentine, you’re out of this world!” You could also use, “Blast off for Valentine’s Day,” or another witty rocket pun.
Once your homemade Valentine is finished, you will insert one bendable straw into the piece of straw that is taped to the rocket.
Now you have a rocket Valentine that will really fly! Simply blow into the end of the bendable straw…blast off!
You may also like these homemade Valentines:
- Pencil Butterfly Valentine
- Eraser Stamped Valentine
- Awesome Valentine’s Day Ideas for Boys
- Heart Gifts, Cards, and Treats Kids Can Make
- 20 Adorable Homemade Valentines from The Educators’ Spin on It