Maybe you’re planning your own community “summer camp,” or maybe you’re just looking for an outdoor party game the kids can play this summer. Whatever the occasion, this simple sea animal party game will have them cheering each other on!
You will need:
- 1 large plastic tub, kiddie pool, or storage container
- Collection of small plastic sea animals
- Sand buckets and shovels (1 bucket and shovel for each team)
- Can of shaving cream
To Play the Game:
Place plastic sea animals into your plastic tub.
Fill container part way with water, making sure to at least cover the animals.
Spray shaving cream on top.
Divide kids into teams, making sure each team has a plastic sand bucket and shovel.
Line the teams up behind the buckets. (We had our buckets about 12 feet away from the plastic tub of animals.)
Tell the players that it is their job to save the sea animals from the pollution (shaving cream). They must use the shovel to scoop up the animals and carry them back to their bucket.
Once their turn is complete, they are to pass the shovel to the next person in line.
Continue play until all the animals are saved.
The team with the most animals in their bucket, wins!
(For younger children, you could just finish with, “Yeah! we saved all the animals!” and not announce a winner.)
Want to increase the challenge?
- Have players wear an inner tube around their waist or arm floats when its their turn. Or, for older children, you could use a pair of swim flippers.
- Use different sized animals. It’s hard to get more than one large animal on the shovel at a time!
- Toss in a handful of seashells with the animals. The shaving cream makes it hard to see what you’re really scooping up.
- Tell players they must keep one arm behind their back when it’s their turn.
- If players drop a sea animal, don’t let them pick it back up.