He was a little grey ball of fluff, sitting in the middle of the road. He didn’t even budge when we went around him and pulled into the drive. If I didn’t move him, a car would hit him. Batty (so named because it was the day before Halloween) stole our hearts and soon found a home in our garage.
“Mommy, he needs some toys to play with,” was all it took before we were making these 2 DIY cat toys, perfect for the cat in your life.
What’s great about these cat toys is you probably already have all the items you need to make kitty happy! And, they are easy enough for a child to make.
Materials Needed for DIY Cat Wand Toys:
- Wood Dowel Rod (or un-sharpened pencil)
To Make the Feather Wand Toy:
- Measure enough yarn to touch the floor when you hold the wood dowel rod in your hand at a comfortable height.
- Tie one end of the yarn around your wood dowel rod. (We used an un-sharpened pencil for ours.)
- Tie the other end around 2-3 feathers.
Your cat will love chasing the feathers or even just batting at them.
To Make the Pom-Pom Wand Toy:
This one is very similar, the only difference is you will be adding a pom-pom to the end of the yarn instead of a feather.
Don’t know how to make a pom-pom?
- First, wrap yarn around four fingers, as seen in the photo below. For our pom-pom we wrapped it around 12 times. For a fatter pom-pom, wrap it more.
- Next, tie one end of your long piece of yarn around the middle of the pom-pom loops. Make sure to double knot it and make it tight!
- Finally, just use scissors to cut the loops. And then you have your pom-pom wand toy for your cat.
These 2 simple DIY cat toys have kept our kitten very entertained. He loves to chase the pom-pom when my daughter runs, dragging it on the ground. And my daughter is super proud she was able to make them all by herself.
They are the perfect DIY gift for any feline this holiday season!