“Mommy, look — we got Nerf guns!” Huge smiles broke out on their faces as they opened their gift from my sister. My brain was already thinking of ways we could put these toys to good use. We have enjoyed a nice, long break from homeschool over the holidays. A few simple Nerf gun games, like this sight word game, are helping ease us back into our school routine.
How to set up your Nerf gun sight word game:
- Write sight words onto Post-It Notes. You could also use CVC words, or other reading words your child is working on.
- Stick the sight words onto cardboard blocks, plastic cups, or even a few empty boxes from your recyclables. Having the words on Post-It Notes means you can easily switch them. You can also put words on both sides of your blocks so each time the targets are set back up a new word can appear.
- Have your child read each word aloud before shooting the target.
Mixing Nerf guns and reading practice is one way to make sight word practice fun.
Alternate ideas for Sight Word Shoot:
- Call out a word and have your child find it to shoot.
- Set up two different “ranges” and have a contest to see who can find the correct word to shoot first.
Tip: These Nerf guns with light beam targeting make aiming at the right word super easy. And the suction cup-tipped darts are so much fun!
Love Nerf? Check out these 20 Awesome Nerf Games.
And for more sight word practice at home: