Candy canes are everywhere this time of year. Not only are they a tasty treat, but the red and white striped candies are perfect for a bit of holiday fun. Last year we had a blast with our Candy Cane Hunt. All those red and white striped candies are also perfect for Candy Cane Fishing, a quick and easy Christmas activity.
- Candy Canes
- Yarn or String
- Wooden Dowel Rod or Unsharpened Pencil
- Large Plastic Container
- Unbreakable Christmas Ornaments
Prepare for this candy cane activity by first creating your fishing poles. Tie a 2-3 foot length of yarn to the straight side of a candy cane to make your hook. Use a small piece of tape to secure the candy cane. Tie the other end to a wooden dowel rod.
Select a variety of unbreakable ornaments and place them in your large container. (Homemade ornaments are perfect!) Challenge your child to see how many ornaments they can pick up with their fishing pole.
Ways to Extend the Activity:
- Make 2-3 fishing poles and see who can catch the most ornaments.
- Set a timer for 1 minute and challenge kids to see how many ornaments they can get in that time. Can they pick up 6? 8? Can they get more the next time they try?
- For younger kids, try making the string shorter so the candy cane doesn’t sway as much.
Candy Cane Fishing is a simple Christmas activity that is easy to set up as an after school activity. Or, use it as a Christmas Minute to Win It game at a Christmas party.
You may also like: