Ever see those fancy heart wreaths and other Valentine’s Day decorations on Pinterest and have a pang of jealousy? This year create your own beautiful rainbow heart garland to decorate your home.
This Valentine’s Day decoration is so simple even the kids can do it! Why not get together as a family and create one of these for each window in your home?
Make your own rainbow heart garland!
- Thick construction paper in the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet)
- Clear tape
- Hole punch
- Small bell or large bead (optional)
- Cut a 1 inch thick strip from the length of each color of paper. (Be sure to use a thick construction paper or card stock for this craft. Very thin paper will collapse in on itself once your heart garland is hanging.)
- Fold each strip in half. Then bend the edges of the strip in towards each other to form a heart.
- Use clear tape to hold the edges together. You will need to put the tape up about and inch from the edge to keep the heart shape. You can also use glue, but then you will have to wait for it to dry before the next step.
- Once all the hearts are formed. arrange them as shown in the picture below.
- Use the hole punch to make two holes in each paper heart, diagonal from each other.
- Thread your yarn through the holes in the rainbow-colored hearts.
- Tie a loop at the top of the yarn to hang your garland.
- Finally, you can tie a small bell or large bead at the bottom of the strand. Or, you can just tie a large knot to keep the hearts from slipping off.
- Hang your paper heart garland and enjoy!
This year skip the Pinterest envy and make this simple and beautiful heart garland with the kids!
Looking for other Valentine’s decorations the kids can make?