Okay, I admit it, the title and topic of this post is all about me and my needs. I NEED to remember that potty training is a good thing, and I need to keep positive and patient in the process. Hopefully listing all the good things happening with our potty training will give me that kick in the patootie I need to keep it fun and positive for my son.
So, here it goes, I am thankful that:
1. Potty training is a step towards independence for my little guy, and each little step towards independence is a little piece of freedom for us all.
2. The potty treats and cloth training pants really have taught him to realize when he is wet, and that’s a good thing. Even as he says, “Pee my pants,” for the 5th time that day, I need to remember that – he’s learning, and that’s a good thing.
3. Being at that stage where we can potty train in cloth pants means less money spent on store-brand pull-ups and diapers. And any time I can save us some money it’s a good thing.
4. Since we are still taking potty breaks every hour and 15 minutes or so, and the training pants are thick, there isn’t enough pee in him to make a real puddle on the carpet. That means the blankets I put down can come up for now and suddenly the living room looks cleaner without really trying.
5. Once he’s potty trained I won’t have to wipe smooshed on poop off his butt during diaper changes. (I realize I’ll still be wiping butts for a while, but at least it won’t be smeared everywhere.)
So, do you have something you’re working on right now that taking a moment to be thankful for might give you the kick you need?