Fall is the perfect time for apple activities for kids.
And when it comes to an apple unit, this apple pie recipe for kids is sure to be a big hit.
Cooking with kids is a fun way to work on math skills and following directions.
You’ll also want to check out this simple homemade butter recipe to try!
Apple Pie Recipe for Kids
- 6 large Granny Smith apples
- pre-made pie crust (or make your own)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspooon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- milk, cinnamon, and sugar (for crust top)
How to Bake a Homemade Apple Pie
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place bottom crust into pie pan.
3. Peel and cut 6 large Granny Smith apples. (When working with kids, peel the apples first and cut them into thick slices. This makes it easier for them to then cut the apple slices into cubes.)
4. Mix 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. (Lots of great measuring opportunities for the kids here!)
5. Carefully toss the flour and spice mixture with the apples, making sure each apple is coated.
6. Pour apple mixture into bottom pie crust.
7. Top apples with 2 tablespoons of butter, cut into small pieces.
8. Fit top crust over apple mixture and press crust edges together to seal. We used mini play dough cutters to cut some cute shapes into our top crust first! If you don’t do this, then make sure you cut slits in the top crust to create steam vents.
9. Brush the top crust with milk. (At this point we opted to shake a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on the top. Kids LOVE to shake ingredients!)
10. Bake 40-45 minutes. The pie should be golden and the apples fork tender when finished.
The hardest part is waiting for it to bake! (And to cool off afterwards!) We used the time to clean up the kitchen, always an important step in baking, and then to run some energy off outside on the swings.
Baking apple pie with the kids was a perfect (and sweet) way to end our apple unit.
You may also like: