Candy canes are everywhere this time of year. Not only are they a tasty treat, but striped candies are perfect for a bit of holiday fun.
December is perfect for using those candies for some candy cane games, like this Candy Cane Fishing Game.
It’s a fun Christmas minute to win it game the whole family can enjoy.
Affiliate links have been provided below. See my full disclosure for more details.
Candy canes can be found in so many fun Christmas crafts and activities for kids.
Last year we had a blast with our Candy Cane Hunt. It was a fun, low-prep candy cane activity.
We couldn’t wait to try a few more fun activities with candy canes.
Candy Cane Fishing Game
- Candy Canes
- Yarn or String
- Wooden Dowel Rod or Unsharpened Pencil
- Large Plastic Container
- Unbreakable Christmas Ornaments
Prepare for this Christmas game by first creating your fishing poles.
Tie a 2-3 foot length of yarn to the straight side of a candy cane to make your hook. Use a small piece of tape to secure the candy cane.
Tie the other end to a wooden dowel rod.
Select a variety of unbreakable ornaments and place them in your large container. Homemade ornaments are perfect for this game.
Challenge your child to see how many ornaments they can pick up using only their fishing pole.
Ways to Play Candy Cane Fishing:
- Play with friends. Make 2-3 fishing poles and see who can catch the most ornaments.
- Turn it into a Christmas minute to win it game for kids. Set a timer for 1 minute and challenge kids to see how many ornaments they can get in that time. Can they pick up 6? 8? Can they get more the next time they try?
- For younger kids, try making the string shorter so the candy cane doesn’t sway as much.
Candy Cane Fishing is a simple Christmas activity that is easy to set up as an after school activity.
This Christmas fishing game would also be fun at a Christmas party.
Sign up for our newsletter and get a free printable Christmas Scavenger Hunt!
You’ll also like:
- Simple Candy Cane Beaded Ornament
- Homemade Christmas Sweatshirt
- Melting Snowmen STEM Activity
- New Year’s Fizzy Science
- Fun Games for Kids
Originally published December 6, 2016.
Erin Vincent says
This looks so fun! We gotta try it tomorrow!!!