Shortly after Christmas my son decided he didn’t want rocked before bedtime anymore. He wanted Mommy to read his books to him while he was in bed instead.
Then, this week he mastered climbing out of his crib. (I know, I was lucky it lasted this long, he IS 2 1/2 after all, and big sis climbed out at 1 1/2, but still, I wasn’t ready for my baby to move to his “big boy toddler bed.”
Suddenly, my baby is growing up right before my eyes. Oh, I knew he was growing up, but there’s nothing like a series of “growing up” changes to open your eyes and make you want to hold on a little tighter.
In light of all that, here is what I’m thankful for this week:
- I’m thankful that I got to sing and rock him before bedtime every night for a little over 2 1/2 years. (After all, my daughter was being put into bed without being rocked well before the age of 2 because I had a new little bundle I was holding and trying to get to sleep most nights.)
- I’m thankful for his little wet kisses on my cheek this Monday – one after each sip of the cocoa I had made him.
- I’m thankful that he still wants Mommy to sing to him and tuck him in, even though it’s in a “big boy” bed now.
- I’m thankful that I was able to become a SAHM at the end of the school year when my daughter was little, and that I’ve never had to drop my son off at the sitter’s on my way to work in the morning like I did when she was a baby.
- And I’m thankful for my husband, who didn’t laugh when I started to cry that second night my baby didn’t want Mommy to rock him at bedtime.
It’s the first week of the new year; what are you thankful for this week?