The evenings in the summer are the perfect time to go outside and enjoy the evening as a family. For us this time usually involves some mix of toy cars, riding toys, water play, and sidewalk chalk.
You just can’t go wrong with sidewalk chalk!
Here are 10 fun ways to use sidewalk chalk.
1. Create a city with the chalk for your toy cars! (Or maybe your princess/Barbie dolls need somewhere to roam.)
2. Turn your kids into butterflies, superheroes, mermaids… The ideas are endless!
3. Use sidewalk chalk to work on ABC skills.
“Can you take 2 big steps to the letter A?” “Hop on over to letter C.”
4. Draw targets with chalk and work on your squirt gun shooting!
5. Who says you have to draw on the ground? Flower pots, tree trunks, an unusual rock… Anything could be a canvas for sidewalk chalk. It washes off easily with water!
6. Use the chalk to make a hopscotch game. (Or 4-square!)
7. Challenge the kids to draw a variety of funny feet with the sidewalk chalk.
Will your little one roar like a lion in lion feet? Or maybe they’ll quack like a duck in duck feet!
8. Sidewalk chalk + water = paint! My daughter especially likes to get the chalk wet. It gives it a paint-like consistency, which she then uses to decorate the brick walls, or herself when I’m not looking…
9. Use the chalk to become a scientist!
Draw a line around your shadow and then see how your shadow changes in 5-10 minutes. Or, find a shadow from another object to study. Perfect chance to talk about how the sun seems to move across the sky and how it affects shadows.
10. Draw a maze with the sidewalk chalk!
Can your little one find their way through it? Have a truck lover? He/She can drive their vehicle through the maze!
Got some other ideas of what to do with sidewalk chalk?
Leave a comment and share what you’ve done!
Wow! I love all of these ideas for sidewalk chalk fun! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Visiting from SITS!
Thanks! They had fun with each and every idea… And I had fun trying to come up with new things to do with the chalk.
shari lynne @ Faith Filled Food For Moms and Grandmothers says
Hey that’s what my grandson and 11 year old did today! FUN!! You are a fun Mommy!! Blessings!
Great minds think alike!
I have my days where I am a fun mommy… I hope my kids think so, too! 🙂
Cute activities. I love the butterfly picture. You could create some really fun pictures with this idea.
Thanks! I think next time she wants me to turn her into a mermaid…. Her brother wanted a picture of him being eatten by a shark – boys! 🙂
Love these ideas!
We love coloring on rocks with sidewalk chalk. My son also asks me to draw snakes a lot. 🙂
I want to remember some of these suggestions! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! We had so much fun with all of them!
Snakes are a huge hit around here lately, too! 🙂
You have the cutest ideas. How fun. I like the squirt at targets and turning it into paint. I was always one for the messy stuff.
Thank you! 🙂 I take no credit in the turning chalk to pain, that was totally my daughter… I left to go check on dinner and when I came back she was covered! 🙂 But she had fun!
Great ideas for sidewalk chalk! Thank you for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you’ll be back this week.
Thanks – we had fun with each and every one of them!
This post is perfect for the Monday Kid Corner Weekly Linky Party. The next party goes live Sunday morning and this week’s theme is SIDEWALK CHALK. Be sure to brush off those archives as well and link them up. See you there! Jennifer
Can’t wait to check it out! 🙂