The evenings in the summer are the perfect time to go outside and enjoy the evening as a family. For us this time usually involves some mix of toy cars, riding toys, water play, and sidewalk chalk.
You just can’t go wrong with sidewalk chalk!
Here are 10 fun ways to use sidewalk chalk.
1. Create a city with the chalk for your toy cars! (Or maybe your princess/Barbie dolls need somewhere to roam.)
2. Turn your kids into butterflies, superheroes, mermaids… The ideas are endless!
3. Use sidewalk chalk to work on ABC skills.
“Can you take 2 big steps to the letter A?” “Hop on over to letter C.”
4. Draw targets with chalk and work on your squirt gun shooting!
5. Who says you have to draw on the ground? Flower pots, tree trunks, an unusual rock… Anything could be a canvas for sidewalk chalk. It washes off easily with water!
6. Use the chalk to make a hopscotch game. (Or 4-square!)
7. Challenge the kids to draw a variety of funny feet with the sidewalk chalk.
Will your little one roar like a lion in lion feet? Or maybe they’ll quack like a duck in duck feet!
8. Sidewalk chalk + water = paint! My daughter especially likes to get the chalk wet. It gives it a paint-like consistency, which she then uses to decorate the brick walls, or herself when I’m not looking…
9. Use the chalk to become a scientist!
Draw a line around your shadow and then see how your shadow changes in 5-10 minutes. Or, find a shadow from another object to study. Perfect chance to talk about how the sun seems to move across the sky and how it affects shadows.
10. Draw a maze with the sidewalk chalk!
Can your little one find their way through it? Have a truck lover? He/She can drive their vehicle through the maze!
Got some other ideas of what to do with sidewalk chalk?
Leave a comment and share what you’ve done!