There is nothing quite like homemade butter! And, because it’s so simple to make, even the kids can get in on the action with this one!
We enjoyed making some homemade butter during homeschool and would love to share the recipe with you!
Ingredients for Homemade Butter:
- Jar with a screw on lid
- Whipping Cream
- Energetic kids!
Simple Steps to Delicious Butter:
- Pour whipping cream into a jar that has a screw on lid. I chose to use a small, plastic peanut butter jar we had scrubbed out, just in case we got a little carried away in our shaking! Make sure you leave plenty of room for the liquid to move around in the jar.
- Give the jar to the energetic kids and tell them to start shaking! I had fun watching them jump up and down and get their whole bodies into the process. (Unfortunately there was too much movement for a good pic!)
- After shaking for 10 minutes a glob will have formed in the jar. (This is your butter!)
- Pour the contents of the jar into a small bowl. The solid glob is your butter; the liquid is buttermilk.
- Pour the buttermilk into a small container to save for later if desired. Rinse your butter off with water to get the remaining buttermilk off of it.
- If desired, add a bit of salt (or other seasonings) to the butter.
This butter is definitely better than any store bought I’ve ever had!
It would taste delicious with these homemade muffins!
JDaniel4's Mom says
It is magical as you watch the butter form! I had forgotten about this. I will need to do it with my son.
This was the first time I had done it, and I have to admit, I thought it was pretty magical myself! 🙂
Yum! I have wanted to try making homemade butter for awhile! Thanks for the easy tutorial! I just made some delicious, no-guilt chocolate chip pumpkin muffins I bet it will be great slathered on. . . 🙂
It would definitely go good with those muffins! 🙂
I’ve never thought about making our own butter, but it sure does sound easy (and so much science too!)
There is definitely science involved! We didn’t look into the science aspect of it this time around, but it would be interesting to do!
What a fantastic idea! My daughters would love to do this. I actually just bought whipping cream on sale yesterday so I think we might be shaking up some butter later today!
I hope she has as much fun as we did! 🙂
What a great idea! I’ve made butter on my own before, but never with the kids…and boy, do I have energetic kids! They’d love doing this!
I hope they have fun! 🙂
Donna DM Yates says
i love what you’re teaching your children. I have a similar recipe that can be done in the blender. There’s nothing like homemade without all the additives.