Can you remember your favorite birthday party as a kid? It’s been over 30 years and I can still remember my favorite birthday party as a kid, an E.T. party with homemade games.
With the new Star Wars movies and cartoons that have come out, Star Wars birthday party ideas have been very popular lately. Recently we celebrated my son’s birthday with DIY Storm Trooper cupcakes and other budget-friendly ideas.
Kid parties don’t have to be expensive. If your child is a Star Wars fan, you can have an awesome kids Star Wars party on a budget.
You can also use these simple ideas to celebrate Star Wars Day on May the 4th.
My son has caught the Star Wars fever, and this year we planned a super fun Star Wars party for 10 kids that cost less than $40, using many of these fun and inexpensive party ideas.
Budget-Friendly Star Wars Party Ideas
- Party Cups — Stickers are awesome when it comes to budget-friendly birthday party ideas. Instead of spending 3-4 dollars for a pack of Star Wars cups, we used stickers to decorate plain black cups we found for a dollar. We also turned plain plastic bags into Star Wars goody bags with just a few stickers.
- Goody Bags — When it comes to stickers they are great for filling goody bags, too. Not only can you add stickers to the goody bags, but we bought a pack of 12 mini bubbles from the dollar store and used stickers to make them match the theme of the party. (Much cheaper than the 40 cents per bubble container we found at the party store.)
- Invitations — I love this printable Star Wars Darth Vader Party Invitation from Hale Grafx
- Decorations — Check the recyclables and make your own R2-D2 for the table. Toy Star Wars spaceships also make quick and thrifty decorations.
Star Wars Party Activities
- Simple Lightsaber Craft — I love doing crafts at kids parties. This one is a guaranteed hit at any Star Wars party. Plus, the kids can take it home as part of their goody bag. Win-win.
- Light Saber Training — Once each child has made their own lightsaber, it’s time for a Star Wars party game: lightsaber training! Use a black permanent marker to draw simple storm trooper faces on white balloons. Challenge the kids to use their lightsabers to keep the balloons in the air. You can have them each try it with their own balloon or have them work in pairs. So much fun!
- Obstacle Course — Another fun, and super cheap party game is an obstacle course, reminiscent of Luke Skywalker’s Jedi training with Yoda. No need for the little green Jedi master to be present. Check out what you have on hand that can be used. Use sidewalk chalk to make a hopscotch for the start of the obstacle course. Have kids jump over boxes, balance on a board, or crawl under a chair.
- Death Star Beanbag Toss — Recycle a large cardboard box into your own Death Star and see who can “blow it up” by getting their beanbag in the hole. (Check out these directions for making a DIY ball toss.)
- Simple Paper R2-D2 Craft from Mom Inspired Life
- Yoda Puppet from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Star Wars Themed Nerf Games from Frugal Fun for Boys
- These Lightsaber Pretzels from Two Sisters Crafting inspired one of our favorite party snacks. We rolled ours in colored sugar before letting them cool so they sparkled.
- Star Wars Party Mix from Lemon Lime Adventures
- Darth Vader Cake — There’s no need to spend money on a fancy bakery cake. You can easily make your own Darth Vader cake at home, using cake pans you already have.
- Storm Trooper Cupcakes — Cupcakes make life easier at kid birthday parties, and these Star Wars themed cupcakes are super easy to make!
- Princess Leia Cupcakes from Paintbrushes and Popsicles (Because girls like Star Wars, too!)
- Dagobah Punch — This was so simple and a huge hit with the kids. Just take 5-6 scoops of rainbow sherbet, cut it up into small pieces and pour your favorite lemon-lime soda pop on top. (We used 7-Up for ours.)
With these simple and fun ideas you can throw a Star Wars party on a budget that your child will remember for years to come.
You may also like these kids’ party ideas:
Originally posted June 2, 2016.