Christmas is over and with a rainbow-colored plastic army of toys littering the floor, organizing the toys and reclaiming the living room is high on my to-do list this week. So, when it comes to celebrating the New Year with the kids, I’m looking for things that are super simple and fun. This festive confetti play dough is perfect for celebrating New Year’s or even a child’s birthday.
If you’re looking for a simple and fun way to ring in the New Year with your kids, you can make your own Confetti Play Dough with ingredients you already have at home.
Ingredients for Confetti Play Dough
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Food coloring
This play dough recipe is a great way to use up any of those leftover ribbon scraps you may have from wrapping Christmas gifts. While you mix up the dough, the kids can work on cutting skills and snip the ribbon into confetti pieces.
How to make Confetti Play Dough
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Mix flour, salt and cream of tarter together in a large bow.
- Slowly add in your boiling water and oil. Stir well.
- Once it has cooled a bit you can knead it together with your hands. If the dough is very sticky, add in a bit more flour a tablespoon or so at a time until it is the consistency you desire.
- Add in a few drops of food coloring and knead well. My kids wanted a light green color, but you can add any color you would like.
- Once the color is mixed in, add in your ribbon confetti pieces and plenty of glitter. Kneading the confetti and glitter into the dough is the perfect job for kids. Adding in a small amount of glitter at a time will help keep down the mess.
Want to make it even more festive?
Add star-shaped cookie cutters to play time. You can also challenge your child to form the numerals for the New Year.
Looking for more fun ways to celebrate New Year’s with the kids?