I’m going to level with you, I have been dragging my feet on the whole issue of signing little Peanut up for preschool.
Last year I called the preschool that so many teachers I know had sent their kids to; I asked a couple of questions, and then we decided to wait to send her because her birthday fell after the cut-off for kindergarten, so she wouldn’t be starting this year. (Why pay for 2 years of preschool if I don’t have to?)
With the school year quickly approaching (as in it starts here next week), I asked a few blogging friends what type of questions I should ask before signing her up.
In the interest of helping any of my readers out there in the same predicament, here is what they suggested:
- The price. (As a SAHM, I have to agree, this can be a big issue – a few places I called last year were outrageous!)
- The class size and/or student to teacher ratio. (Again, this is important to me!)
- Is the program learning through play based?
- Do I need to volunteer time or fundraise? (Have to admit, never thought of that!)
- Do they go on field trips?
- What are the disciplinary actions?
- What safety precautions are taken? (How secure is the building they are in, and is it easy for a stranger to walk in?)
- Are the teachers all certified through the state?
- The school’s worldview and what will be taught.
- What is the sick policy? (Are children to stay home for at least a day after having a fever?)
What questions would you add to my list?