Red and white paper littered the table. The bag of googly eyes had spilled, and I was trying to wrangle them all back together. It was then, as the kids were putting the finishing touches on our Santa Craft, that my youngest excitedly said, “And then we get to make his reindeer, right?” I hadn’t really planned on a second craft, but one look in his eyes and I knew we had to make a reindeer.
This Simple Shape Reindeer takes almost no planning and makes a cute decoration!
Thankfully the materials we needed were already all over the table.
- Construction Paper
- Googly Eyes
For very young toddlers you may want to cut out the pieces first. For preschoolers I recommend drawing the pieces on the construction paper and letting them cut out the pieces themselves. Older kids can help use a ruler to measure and draw the shapes before cutting them out.
Shapes Needed for Shape Reindeer Craft:
- 5 1/2 inch square (Head)
- 6 x 8 inch rectangle (Body)
- 5 x 1 inch rectangles (4 of these for the Legs)
- Small triangle (Tail)
- 1 inch circle (Nose)
- 1 hand print (Antlers)
Once all the pieces are ready, let your kids glue them into place. With toddlers and young preschoolers you can talk about the shapes they are using to make their reindeer. “Look, his head is a square. Can you see any other squares in the room?”
Both of my crafters chose to give the reindeer a red nose (like Rudolph!), but your child might choose a black, brown, or even blue nose.
I intended the reindeer’s face to be the profile, so we only needed one eye, but younger kids may not understand this. Let them put on two eyes if they wish. The important part of crafting with kids isn’t the result, but the crafting process itself!
This simple shape reindeer looks super cute on the bedroom doors, right next to the shape Santa we had made. Sometimes as a mom it’s good to give in to that look in their eyes when they ask to do one more craft.
You may also like:
- Jingle Bell Bracelets — Fill your home with the happy sound of jingle bells this holiday with this simple Christmas craft.
- Triangle Reindeer — Perfect for preschoolers. Work on shape recognition and create a reindeer to decorate the door.
- Handprint Reindeer Sweatshirt — These sweatshirts are so cute, you may be tempted to wear them long after the holidays are over.
- Christmas Crafts & Activities Page — All our Christmas crafts and activities located in one convenient spot.