We needed a fun homemade Valentine for boys, and decided to use the craft from our R is for Rocket activities to make awesome Rocket Valentines!
Straw Rocket Valentine
- 1 rectangle (6X2 inches) of thick construction paper or cardstock
- 1 large triangle (with a 3 inch base)
- 2 small triangles (approximately an inch or so high)
- 1 bendable drinking straw
- 1 two inch long piece of drinking straw that is wider (think fast food restaurant straws)
- small piece of orange tissue paper
Glue the small triangles to the bottom of the rectangle. These will form the rocket’s wings.
Glue the big triangle to the top of the rectangle to form the rocket’s top.
Using scissors, give the orange tissue paper some fringe and glue it to the back of the rocket’s base. This will be the flames.
Use clear tape to secure the 2 inch piece of straw to the back of the rocket, as shown in the picture below. Also use a piece of tape to flatten the top of the straw and keep it closed.
If you are only making one, you could hand write the message.
We made them for a homeschool class party, so I printed copies of our Valentine’s message to glue to each rocket.
We went with the message: Valentine, you’re out of this world! You could also use, Blast off for Valentine’s Day, or another witty rocket pun.
Once your homemade Valentine is finished, you will insert one bendable straw into the piece of straw that is taped to the rocket.
Now you have a rocket Valentine that will really fly! Simply blow into the end of the bendable straw. Blast off!
These rocket Valentines are so much fun for kids to make and receive. They are definitely our favorite homemade Valentine for boys.
You may also like posts:
- Awesome Valentine’s Day Ideas for Boys
- Eraser Stamped Valentine
- Heart Gifts, Cards, and Treats Kids Can Make
- 20 Adorable Homemade Valentines from The Educators’ Spin on It
Get more fun ideas like this delivered to your email by subscribing to our newsletter.
Originally posted: Feb 4, 2015