It is hot here. I think back to springtime/early summer and all the rain we had and wish we had some to dampen the dusty fields.
The kids are crankier than usual. Maybe the heat? I find myself crankier, too, and we just seem to play off each other.
So what do you do when the weather is so hot you’re stuck inside and you just don’t feel like doing anything? Drop the negativity and be thankful for all the simple things you too often overlook:
1. I’m thankful for air conditioning. I confess, I can’t imagine life without it right now. We’d probably spend even more time in the downstairs play area or go out a lot more (to places with a/c).
2. I’m thankful for the microwave, which quickly heats up my much needed caffeinated beverage each morning and can cook mac-n-cheese in 3 minutes – saving me time standing over a hot stove when making the preschooler’s favorite lunch.
3. I’m thankful for the refrigerator, and the freezer, both of which offer tasty cold treats guaranteed to turn a toddler’s bad mood around (at least for a few minutes).
4. I’m thankful for my husband, who agreed to bring home pizza tonight for dinner; saving me from having to figure out a quick meal after play date and from heating up the kitchen with the oven.
5. I’m thankful for city water. If you lived in our old house with our horrible smelling, even worse tasting, yellow well water, you’d understand why I was psyched with the fact we’d have city water at our new house.
6. I’m thankful for the washer and dryer (don’t say that often!). They let me get clothes cleaned that much faster for my family so I can spend more time playing with the kids. Now if they could just invent a machine to fold clothes….
7. I’m thankful for indoor bathrooms. In this heat who wants to have to drag 2 small kids outside to use the bathroom? And I can’t imagine what the smell would be like with the high temperatures!
8. I’m thankful for cameras. Without them I wouldn’t have so many beautiful pictures of my babies to look back on as they grow. How many memories they hold!
I’m sure I could go on all day, but I want to know, what simple things are you thankful for today?